Thursday, January 28, 2010

English 101.25 - Scream Your Heart Out

The title of this blog comes from the song I'm currently listening to on itunes. It talks about living with no regrets and doing everything you're supposed to do or want to do in life.

Here's the prompt:

"Why does everyone think that Gallien (the man who gave Chris a ride) in Into the Wild, opted to not call the police after Chris left his car? Gallien said, "I figured he'd be OK," but why would anyone think this considering where Chris was going with little to no supplies? State your opinion."

For Gallien, I believe he did not want to tell anyone because of what Chris said to him. Chris was telling Gallien that he did not want him to call the police or contact anyone whatsoever about his situation. Gallien making the statement, "I figured he'd be OK" is at least a lie or cover up in my eyes. If I were put in Gallien's situation, I would have two main consequences for my actions. The first is if I tell the authorities, what will Chris think of me as a person if I did not keep my word? Secondly, if I opted not to tell anyone, what would happen if Chris died out in the wilderness and I could have prevented it? Obviously, the second outcome is what actually happened. Gallien was being honorable to Chris by keeping his word, but he should have told someone in order to potentially save his life. Remember Chris left a note pleading, "In the name of God will someone save me?" Now Gallien has to live with the death of a man that will linger in his mind.

3 comments:

  1. I think that part of Gallien actually thought Chris would be okay. For every question asked Chris shot back an answer, and Chris was obviously a smart guy. I'm sure Gallien had some doubt though. As for if he made the right decision its hard to say, but I think that he made the correct one. Chris seemed very set on his journey so no matter how Gallien intervened I think Chris would keep trying to pursue his goal. Also, being let go allowed Chris to fulfill his task of "finding himself" and spending time in the wild. Its awful that Chris died and calling the police could have postponed his death, but eventually Chris would have found a way to live out his journey no matter how Gallien tried to stop him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you could have saved him would haunt you for life. I agree 100% with that. Just imagining a dead dood in an abandoned bus in the middle of Alaska, and he is about half your age. You would regret your decision forever even if it couldn't have saved him. I also agree with Kristen. If the police had stopped him in Alaska he would have just gone to Russia or something until he had completed his journey. Or even if he had made it out alive he probably wouldn't have been done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guarantee Gallien thought about all of these consequences before he chose what to do. Graham I totally agree with ur reference to this haunting him forever. Gallien was put in a TERRIBLE position, and I have sympathy for anyone that is put in that type of situation. Kristen, I think I also referred to Chris having one mindset, and he would have found out a way to make this journey possible no matter what circumstances were set before him. This was Chris's dream, no one was stopping him.

    ReplyDelete