Friday, February 5, 2010

English 101.25 - Easier to Run

Easier to Run by Linkin Park seemed fit for the title here, mainly because I couldn't think of any song related specifically to hitchhiking. Anyways, here is the prompt:

"How do you think the use of hitchhiking has changed over time? What do you think is the cause of this? Is it beneficial to those in need or just overall too dangerous? Explain your thoughts."

I know this practically sounds like what Rachael said on her blog, but I really have no idea of how hitchhiking has changed over time. There have been times where I have seen hitchhikers on streets or highways, but other than that I don't know much about them. I understand there are some laws prohibiting hitchhiking in some areas, such as various ramps on highways, which is probably why I haven't seen many people wanting a ride on the side of roadways in recent times. Maybe one thing that has changed is the fact that many people might not see hitchhikers in large numbers, or even at all.

Hitchhiking does help those in need, but many people won't offer rides to those on the side of the street because they don't even know the person. They have to rely on first impressions and their instincts. In my lifetime, I have not seen anyone pick up a hitchhiker except for times in the movies. Of course, that is not exactly what I'd call real. Some people don't like the idea of hitchhikers and feel they can walk (or run if I refer to the title of the song) to get where they want or need to go. I admit that my family is one that does not pick up hitchhikers, but we tend to offer rides to those people we know. However, that is not hitchhiking at all. I guess my family really hasn't talked about this kind of thing, even though people are supposed to do what they can to help others out. Some people are ignorant to those who need help, others look the other way, and others still are scared of them. What people have to realize is that they are people too. They are just in a different situation than oneselves'.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen many hitchhikers either. I know my Dad was picked up once. But that was when we ran out of gas and he was standing by his cute family. How could anyone resist?

    You talk about how people should help people out. They should. I was talking about how people are more self sufficient. But people shouldn't write hitchhikers off as axe murderers whenever they see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generosity and helping those around me is in my nature, and I hate the feeling of leaving someone out, but putting myself in risky situation just isnt worth it. I was in a conversation at youth group about just going through the motions, saying "someone else will help them," or "I dont need to donate, my $10 wont make a difference." This is the feeling many get when thinking about picking a hitchhiker up. I always think to myself "why should I pick them up, someone else eventually will." Although I'm contradicting the way I feel, leaving a hitchhiker behind is one of the only things I would allow someone else to do when I can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete