Friday, February 12, 2010

English 101.25 - I Second That Emotion

I decided to title this one after a good oldies tune. Here's the prompt:

"What do you think is the most effective form of rhetoric out of Logos, Pathos, and Egos? Why? Knowing that they do tie together very well, try to just choose one and argue for it. Which do you think John Krakauer is most reliant on, or which do you notice the most while reading Into the Wild?"

Personally, I think the most effective form of rhetoric is Pathos because it pertains to emotions and the reader. Emotions are our feelings, which can be swayed at times to favor certain things. Emotions sometimes take control of a situation, whether it's being extremely happy at a wedding or very angry because a boyfriend/girlfriend cheated on you. Also, think about politics; politicians sometimes talk about research for cancer, health care, or the conflict in the Middle East to gain support because so many of us have been affected by these topics. They play with our emotions in a sense.

For John Krakauer, I believe he is most reliant on Pathos as well, because he is talking about the journey of Chris McCandless. His journey has taken many twists and turns, from not talking to his family to eventually dying cold and alone of starvation. Krakauer picks apart every difficult situation Chris dealt with and it showed his strength to perservere. Some people would have likely given up instead of giving up everything to live this new lifestyle.

I don't know about you, but emotions tend to get the best of me.

3 comments:

  1. Emotions play a huge role in everything, and thats why they are most effective. Even when we are reading a text, our emotions come in to play as we sympathize those in the book. I'm pretty sure our whole group has agreed about pathos so far for Krakauer's choice of rhetoric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that pathos is most effective, but I think Krakauer uses Logos and Ethos more. By using these he eventually plays with your emotions like you say, but he isn't directly doing it. He just tells you the story of Chris and it happens to be an emotional one. So I guess I just look at how he plays with peoples emotions differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that Krakauer uses pathos the most. I also agree that this is a very important part of writing because a lot of people put emotions before logic. Emotions also allow the writer to connect with a variety of people. Graham does have a point in saying that there is a lot of logos and ethos present, but I think that a lot of his examples of these involve pathos as well through the stories of the people who met Chris.

    ReplyDelete