Friday, February 19, 2010

English 101.25 - Your Hand in Mine

The prompt for this week is:

"In response to the Taylor Swift article we read and discussed about in class, what is one song that means something to you? Is it by your favorite artist? Analyze the lyrics (if there are any). When listening to the song, what images come to mind? Why?"

Finally, the title to my blog will have a real meaning. I'm definitely a music person, as many people know or can tell. I play 3 musical instruments and listen to music everywhere I go. Anyways, one song that means something to me is the song "Your Hand in Mine" by Explosions in the Sky. This group is not my favorite artist, and this is the only song I have by them. Unfortunately, there are no lyrics.

The movie Friday Night Lights (2004) follows the story of the 1988 Permian High School Panthers football team as they made a run towards the Texas state championship. “Your Hand in Mine”, an instrumental song, has electric guitar, bass and drums playing throughout the piece. Towards the end of the song, the guitars play the same melody while the drummer plays just the bass drum and cymbals. As the continuous beat grows through volume and pitch, I become more emotional because I relive moments in my life. These heart-warming moments consist of fond experiences with my family and friends from various occasions. These images never change regardless of who listens along with me. Despite this, new memories merge together with the old ones as I spend more time with those I truly care about.

This song was repeated several times throughout the film, and at the end it really captured my attention. The pinnacle of this song was when the coach of the football team was alone in the boys’ locker room. He replaced the names of former players on lockers with new players after they lost the state championship game. I realized that throughout life many memories and special moments occur. People spend certain parts of their lives creating relationships with others. Sometimes different people leave one’s life due to a move, confrontations, or death. However, when these individuals leave their lives, new people become apart of their lives. A never ending cycle happens, and this demonstrates itself through the power of music.

3 comments:

  1. Why is this person's profile name Kate but she signed it Lucy?

    That song is pretty good. They wrote the whole soundtrack right? I think they did, and that soundtrack is awesome. The song peaks at the perfect time and gets the juices flowing. It is long, but perfect in every aspect of musical composition. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you chose a song with no lyrics. Its different and shows that you don't need words for something to be powerful. I also like that you connected it with both the movie and your personal life because it shows how versatile the song is, and how it can reach out to different people. I also like that from the song you got such a big picture as the never ending cycle of people and memories throughout your life. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting you chose a song that was instrumental, but very cool. I dont think I've ever had a song that really impacted me without words, although many instrumentals are very catchy. I also didn't know you were such a big music person. I bought a guitar last year and was really in to it but ever since I moved here its hung out in my closet the whole time prettu much, very unfortunate I know.

    ReplyDelete